Monday, February 22, 2010

My Arms Are Tired and the Rest of Me Too


I just flew in from New York and my arms are really tired...so funny. I'm wiped out!! I seriously had trouble getting up this morning. The trip wrapped up with a visit to Toby's new apartment - much better that the place he was living in before. His roommate Krista, whom I had met during his college days, fixed a delicious dinner for us. I like her a lot. She's an environmental lawyer who wants to work for nonprofits. Not a good economy for that, but I hope she finds something soon!
   I had to laugh when I got off the subway in Toby's neighborhood. He lives in Bushwick, the residents of which are primarily from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic and are also mostly working class. I must have stood out like a sore thumb because an older man who was working on his car, said "can I help you?" Now, he either thought "this white chick is surely lost" or I looked confused enough that he thoughtfully tried to help. The GPS on my phone was a great help on this trip. I found my way just fine.
   The last day there, Susan and I went to the area where the twin towers were. It was really eerie to be there. The big gap in the buildings where the World Trade Center had been was remarkable and very sad. As we walked toward the site, I also had little flashbacks of some of the video scenes of the streets leading up to the towers on the day they were hit. I can't imagine how horrible it was for the people who were there. It was sobering and surreal.
   Later that afternoon, my nice driver came back to give me a ride and the flight was smooth from there. I did realize this morning that I'd left my cute little knitting bag and my mp3 player on the plane. That's the second time I've left an mp3 player behind while traveling. This time, though, I called lost and found this morning and they actually found it and are sending it back. I wouldn't have been happy to have to replace it again. One little ray of hope in a dark, dark world. :-) I feel like Willy Wonka when Charlie gives back the Everlasting Gobstopper (in the original movie, not the creepy Johnny Depp version!). "So shines a good deed in a weary world." 
   I was glad to hang out in New York but I'm also really glad to be home. I'll be in bed by 8pm tonight, no doubt. The city just wore me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment