Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Music Obsession

Geoff and I agreed that he would keep the shelf stereo system we'd gotten together so one of my tasks in setting up my new home was to figure out what I wanted to do about listening to music. I looked at shelf systems and just didn't know what I wanted to do until my brilliant friend Norma suggested that I get an i-pod (nano in my case - $$$) and get a docking station. What a great idea! 

So, off to Best Buy. Got a pretty little purple nano, a docking station for the living room and one for the bedroom. Once I got those set up, of course, I needed to add lots of new music to my library. One of the reasons I'd never gotten an I-Pod or other Apple product before is that it really bugs the shit out of me that they have such a monopoly. The arrogance. Every shelf system I looked at had a docking station for a damned I-Pod. That's almost as evil as a McDonald's or Starbucks on every corner. Not that I've never gotten Starbucks or the crack-laced french fries at McDonald's but still...

Back to the topic at hand, I have just spent about 4 hours going through I-Tunes to pick out additions to my musical repertoire. I  have my oldies but goodies, of course. Unfortunately, I-Tunes couldn't convert everything (some kind of digital protection on some of my tunes which is disappointing). I do understand a little more why everything "I" is so popular. It's a slick little program they have to get you to spend more and more money. I fell deeper and deeper into the consumer vortex of links and connections and recommendations. I was hyp-no-tized.

I've had a blast going through Grammy Award nominees and exploring related artists. Did you know that there's a Best Hawaiian Music Album Category, 7 Spanish language categories (Latin Pop; Latin Rock, Alternative or Urban; Tropical Latin; Regional Mexican; Tejano; Norteno; and Banda), and awards for package design (graphic design is everywhere!!)?

I now have music from a range of artists from Jose Gonzalez to Usher to Prince (had to get some of the Purple Rain tunes - memories of younger days) to Dave Matthews to Amos Lee to Yo-Yo Ma to, yes, I will admit it Jim Brickman (I find it soothing if a little dorky). I think I'll dock my little nano and go to sleep to Jim's soothing piano tunes.  Oh, no! I just noticed that he actually does a piano version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow on the album I bought. That song may have to hit the trash bucket. Does he have no shame?!

What are you listening to? I'd love to hear some ideas of more music to add to my library...

No comments:

Post a Comment